[MyAppleMenu] Feb 19, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 19 13:15:00 EST 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple's Sweet Deal Won Over Henrico
<http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834196421&path=!news&s=1045855934842>
Olympia Meola, Richmond Times-Dispatch

Price was only one of the factors the selection committee considered. Several members cited the size of the Dell laptop and the breadth of instructional programs on the Apple laptops as two distinguishing factors.

*** Subtitles: Deaf To The Problem
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11436226/site/newsweek/>
Steve Friess, Newsweek

An estimate 31 million Americans are hard of hearing, so it seems intuitive that Apple would provide captions on shows like "Desperate Housewives" and "The Office" that it has started selling online. Yet, in a mystery worthy of "Lost," there aren't subtitles on any of the iTunes video products.

*** A Sponsorship Waiting To Happen
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/lifestyle/bal-te.to.ipod17feb17,0,2045701.story>
Abigail Tucker, Baltimore Sun

The biggest winner of all may have been Apple, maker of the tiny iPod htat has soared to glory along with Hannah Teter. This Olympics, U.S. snowboarders have competed while listening to the personal music device, and skiers, speed skaters and other Olympians from all over the world have been observed listening raptly during practice and before competing. All of which makes for great press.

*** Second OS X Malware Emerges, But Risk Is Low
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/17/inqtana/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

A second piece of Mac OS X malware has emerged this week, though this one poses a very limited threat,thanks in part to Apple's own response.

[Opinion]

*** Apple Abusing Copyright Law?
<http://bayosphere.com/blog/dan_gillmor/20060218/apple_abusing_copyright_law>
Dan Gillmor, Bayosphere

Apple has a long history of challenging speech. This looks like yet another unsavory example.

[Sidetrack]

*** Old Mac, New Door
Heng-Cheong Leong

Here's one photo <http://www.dataste.com/blog/wordpress/?p=988> that folks over at Low End Mac will cringe. :-)

*** Subtitles In iTunes Videos?
Heng-Cheong Leong

If I remember correctly, QuickTime is able to support subtitles -- and in multiple languages no less -- since early QuickTime 2.5 days. So, technically, Apple shouldn't have any problem putting subtitles, or "closed captions" as it is known in TV-land, into the videos that is being sold in the iTunes Music Store.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** A Spectator's Role For China's Muslims
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/weekinreview/19yardley.html?hp&ex=1140411600&en=6f8661ade57c7810&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Jim Yardley, New York Times

With 1.3 billion people, China is so huge and Muslims constitute such a tiny minority that most Muslims intuitively learn to keep quiet.

[Life]

*** Leisure Overload? Nothing Doing.
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/18/AR2006021801398.html>
Neely Tucker, Washington Post

The downside to more downtime is the hard work it takes to use it up.

*** Area Code, Sweet Area Code
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/fashion/sundaystyles/19CELL.html?ex=1298005200&en=23ed42ef4bde966f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Maggie Master, New York Times

Like a rear-windshield decal or an old college T-shirt, a cellphone number has become as much a part of an identity as a Social Security number.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Qantas Keeps LA To Itself
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/qantas-keeps-la-to-itself/2006/02/19/1140283949283.html>
Louise Dodson, Sydney Morning Herald

Australia's new aviation policy is set to reject Singapore Airlines' bid to fly Qantas's most lucrative route, from Sydney to Los Angeles.

*** Singapore Election This Year, Says Goh
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=181190>
Bernama

"I can tell you election is coming. I can tell you it will be held after the budget. I can tell you further that it will be held before the end of this year."

*** Bridge Over Troubled Waters
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/19/focus/13419954&sec=focus>
Joceline Tan, The Star

After so many years, both sides are still learning how to live with each other.

*** Bloggers, Podcasts Online May Be Subject To Parliamentary Elections Act
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/193907/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

The Media Development Authority has reminded internet content providers to comply with Singapore's laws, including those relating to political content.