[MyAppleMenu] Apr 16, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 16 13:15:00 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Technology making A Tangible Difference In How We Collect
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/music/14352310.htm>
Glenn Lovell, San Jose Mercury News

Is it better to surround yourself with a shrine-like wall of CDs and DVDs, or free up that bookcase and home-entertainment center with a virtual "collection" that exists digitally -- on iPod or computer hard drive?

*** Hang The Dj: Sasha Starting Revolution Thanks To The iMac
<http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/living/14355300.htm>
Richard Harrington, Washington Post

Say hello to the brave new world of laptop DJing via an iMac G5 and, in Sasha's right hand, not a mouse, but a custom-built, one-of-a-kind controller called the Maven.

*** For iPod Fans, Here's Wheel Satisfaction
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/15/AR2006041500122.html>
Seth Hamblin, Washington Post

*** Music Students To Get iPods At Montgomery College
<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1574&dept_id=532216&newsid=16479183&PAG=461&rfi=9>
Chevalier Mayes, The Courier

Integrating the iPod into the music curriculum will really stir up an excitement for learning and creating, said Greg Ristow, Montgomery College music professor.

[Opinion]

*** The Trouble With Mail
<http://8stars.org/a/2006/04/14/the_trouble_with_mail/>
Random Neural Misfirings

Today, Mail is a pretty good program, but it has obvious problems, and even if those were all fixed, would be solid but not innovative.

*** How To Manipulate Me (Or, Tuesday Whipper-Snapping)
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3291>
Brent Simmons, inessential.com

If you read my weblog, there's a good chance you use my software -- and there's a good chance you'd like me to do something. Something specific -- fix a particular bug, add a particular feature. How do you make it more likely that I'll do that thing you want me to do?

*** Easy DOS It: Apple's Plan To Provide The Best Darned Windows Experience Anywhere -- Even Better Than Microsoft
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060413.html>
Robert X. Cringely, PBS

Apple can offer the most secure version of Vista available with the lowest Total Cost of Ownership, which could lead to a leadership change in business computing.

*** Rumors At The Bar
<http://www.macgeekery.com/column/pure_genius/rumors_at_the_bar>
Mac Geekery

Apple not only shields its product roadmap from the public, but also from all public-facing employees. and nearly all non-facing employees. The litmis test is "Are you actively involved on the project or the project's marketing and rollout?" If the answer is "No," then you are generally left clueless.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Companies Blocking Employees From Reading RSS Feeds
<http://blog.holtz.com/index.php/weblog/companies_blocking_employees_from_reading_rss_feeds/>
Shel Holtz

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Confessions Of A Tourist: It's Only Rock'n'roll, But I Like It
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2134181,00.html>
Lydia Masters, The Times

As souvenirs go, the tape surely beats an I (heart) New York T-shirt.

*** New York Leads Politness Trend? Get Outta Here!
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/nyregion/16conduct.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Winnie Hu, New York Times

Somehow a city whose residents have long been scorned for their churlish behavior is now being praised for adopting rules and laws that govern personal conduct, making New York an unlikely model for legislating courtesy and decorum.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** SDA Says It Aims To Win At Least 15 Seats
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/203347/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

It says it is only in having such a number can it form a viable shadow Cabinet to propose viable policy alternatives for Singapore, and to act as a check and balance on the People's Action Party.

[News]

*** Singapore, Malaysia Unlikely To Return To Bridge Negotiations: FM Yeo
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/203360/1/.html>
Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

Foreign Minister George Yeo says it is unlikely that Singapore and Malaysia will return to negotiations on the bridge issue to replace the Causeway. Mr Yeo says from Singapore's perspective, the present Causeway is a perfectly good structure.

*** 'Time To Move On To Domestic Matters'
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sunday/National/20060416081545/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

Too much time has been spent on Malaysia-Singapore issues and it is time to move on, said Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar.

*** Myhyiddin: Better A Painful Decision Now
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sunday/National/20060416081652/Article/index_html>
Wan Hamidi Hamid, New Straits Times

Since Singapore did not want to compromise, there was no point in discussing the bridge because it would lead nowhere, even four or five years from now.

*** Shelved Bridge Project Becomes Hottest Topic
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/16/parliament/13971006&sec=parliament>
Elizabeth Looi, The Star

*** Mahathir Calls For Referendum On Issue In Johor
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,385678,00.html?>
Bernama

In an open attack on his successor, former Malaysian premier Mahathir Mohamad yesterday suggested holding a referendum in Johor to see if there was backing in the state for the government decision to cancel the bridge project.

[Opinion]

*** Of Bridge Of Euphemism: Another Take
<http://www.maddruid.com/2006/04/768-of-bridge-of-euphemism-another.html>
The __earthinc

Concerning the media, it's amazing how popular opinion in the mainstream media changes at a finger snap, blink of an eye... The MSM is a dog on leash with the kris looms above after all. Some of them are even suckers.