[MyAppleMenu] Apr 15, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 15 13:15:01 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Steve Wozniak Q & A
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002929498_wozqa14.html>
Kim Peterson, Seattle Times

"I would much rather just have such a quiet life that I could sit down and have days and days free to just think out new ideas."

*** MacMall Sells Intel Macs With Windows Pre-Installed
<http://www.macuser.com/intel-macs/macmall_sells_intel_macs_with.php>
Aaron Freedman, MacUser

[Opinion]

*** iTunes Is A 1-Trick Pony
<http://alexcastro.typepad.com/castros_blog/2006/04/fox_internet_tv.html>
Castro's Blog

iTunes is not going to dominate the entire digital media world in the same way they dominate diigtal music downloads.

*** Boot Camp, Mac Cultists, And Windows Salvation
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/04/andrewkantor/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

[Review]

*** Summations On The MacBook Pro
<http://www.macuser.com/reviews/summations_on_the_macbook_pro.php>
Scott Silverman, MacUser

The speed of the computer, combined with the Front Row/remote, the iSight, and the screeen all make one nice computer.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Studies: two Of The 10 Best U.S. Jobs Are In Tech
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1949440,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Deborah Rothberg, eWeek

A study released April 12 ranked software engineers as haivng the best jobs in the United States, citing their use in 'virtually every part of hte economy."

*** Microsoft Shoots For Photo Search
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1949647,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Ben Charny, eWeek

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Why Stars Name Babies Moxie, Moses And Apple
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/fashion/sundaystyles/16NAMES.html>
Alex Williams, New York Times

Skeptics scoff at the mad rush by stars to come up with exotic baby names as another means for the attention-hungry to grab headlines. But psychologists and others who have worked with high-profile performers say that the naming of children can function as a window into a psyche.

*** Junk-Food Jihad: Should We Regulate French Fries Like Cigarettes?
<http://www.slate.com/id/2139941/>
William Saletan, Slate

So, we've found a new enemy: obesity.

*** A Sour Note On Modern Times
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,70645-0.html?tw=wn_index_7>
Tony Long, Wired News

Next time you feel the squeeze, stop. Put on that CD of Beethoven's Sixth languishing in your stacks. Listen to the entire symphony.

*** Working Girls, Broken Society
<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1143931814950&call_pageid=1105528093962&col=1105528093790>
Alison Wolf, Toronto Star

While the benefits of career equality are axiomatic, its negative repercussions are wilfully ignored.

*** Mi, A Name I Call Myself. And You Are?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/13/fashion/thursdaystyles/13nicknames.html?ex=1302580800&en=8ed570519df34ce5&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Stephanie Rosenbloom, New York Times

Nicknames have been around for centuries, even before Shakespeare was scribbling iambic pentameter with an inky quill. But the process of acquiring a nickname was changed by the advent of e-mail in the 1980's.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** New Media, Same Rules
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,385386,00.html?>
Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times

[News]

*** Reports Did Not Deter Singaporeans
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/15/nation/13969765&sec=nation>
Farik Zolkepli, The Star

Their media said the high crime rate in Johor Baru would stop Singaporeans from coming. But the figures tell a different story.

*** Malaysia Has Right To Relocate Pipelines To Singapore - Dr M
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=191845>
Bernama

Malaysia has the right under its agreement with Singapore to relocate the pipelines supplying water to the island for specified reasons but only after giving about six months notice, said former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

*** Malaysia And Singapore Should Continue Negotiations On New Bridge
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=191822>
Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama

Malaysia and Singapore should continue negotiations to construct a new bridge to replace the Johor causeway, former Information Minister Datuk Sri Panglima Abdul Kadir Sheikh Fadzir said Friday night.

*** Najib: We Did Not Give In To Singapore
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Saturday/National/20060415080204/Article/index_html>
Fay Angela D'cruz, New Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** It Turned Out To Be A Bridge Too Far
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Saturday/Columns/20060415071252/Article/index_html>
Khairy Jamaluddin, New Straits Times

When dealing with slippery opponents, hardheadedness is the worst strategy. Call their bluff, change your mind, walk away, even float like a butterfly. Now they know it's game on.

*** Scrapping The Bridge The Best Solution
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/15/nation/13971459&sec=nation>
Wong Chun Wai, The Star

It is unfortunate that Singapore has still not learned to be a good neighbour, continuing to be preoccupied with its uncompromising attitude on only gains.