[MyAppleMenu] Apr 17, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 17 13:15:01 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Podcasting Shakes Up Local Media
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/services/2006-04-16-podcast-worries_x.htm?POE=TECISVA>
Randy Dotinga, Christian Science Monitor

The rise of on-demand world has local suppliers of content everywhere unsettled.

*** S. Florida Educators Use Latest Technology In The Classrom
<http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14358444.htm>
Peter Bailey, Miami Herald

*** Windows On Mac: What You Need To Know
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/04/features/winmacfaq/index.php>
Jason Snell and Rob Griffiths, Macworld

What does it all mean? Can you really run Windows on a Mac? What's required to do so, and what are the potential pitfalls if you try?

[Opinion]

*** No Bias Here, Just Support For Equal Mac OS 10 Access
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/chi-0604150263apr16,1,1694473.column?coll=la-utilities-technology>
James Coates, Los Angeles Times

I don't care what Dell thinks about my ilk, I'm on his side now.

[Sidetrack]

*** Warm Liquid Goo Phase Begins
Heng-Cheong Leong

Some movies should never be made.

But that shouldn't stop someone with a computer from making trailers to the movies that should never be made.

Jack's back, in Titanic II <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfMqeas5wKA>.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Steal This Newspaper
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/17/business/media/17carr.html>
David Carr, New York Times

At some point -- perhaps when reporters are denied access to newspaper -- publishers are saying something else to their employees and their readers: What you're holding has no value.

*** Up With Grups
<http://newyorkmetro.com/news/features/16529/index.html>
Adam Sternbergh, New York

He owns eleven pairs of sneakers, hasn't worn anything but jeans in a year, and won't shut up about the latest Death Cab for Cutie CD. But he is no kid. He is among hte ascendant breed of grown-up who has redefined adulthood as we once knew it and killed off the generation gap.

*** Elvis Has Left The Building. Now 30,000 Impersonators May Have To Go As Well
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,170-2137647,00.html>
Tim Reid, The Times

In a move that has made the ranks of the lookalikes queasier than the thought of a deep-fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, a New York businessman has bought the rights to Elvis's name and likeness and has threatened to ban "unauthorised" Elvis clones.

*** Becoming 'Flexitarian'
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw04162006/taste.html>
Greg Atkinson, Seattle Times

Carnivores are learning, it's easier than ever to embrace vegetarian food.

*** Life In The DVD Lane
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/11/AR2006041101258.html>
Jeanne Marie Laskas, Washington Post

I was all "save the children from too much TV." One more place to watch was one place too many, I figured.

*** Wristwatches Get The Back Of The Hand
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-watch16apr16,1,7387183.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Leslie Earnest, Los Angeles Times

Is time running out for the wristwatch?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** Singapore Cites Opposition For Speaking Without A Licence
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=91321>
DPA

An opposition party leader was being investigated by police for speaking without a licence ahead of Singapore's upcoming general election, officials said Monday. Chee Soon Juan, secretary-general of the Singapore Democratic Party, and his aide, Yap Keng Ho, set up tables, displayed party banners and took turns addressing residents through a microphone during the weekend.

*** Boon Heng: GE Date May Be Out In Next Few Days
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,385896,00.html?>
Straits Times

[News]

*** Malaysia Confident MyKad Will Eventually Be Accepted In Singapore
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Monday/NewsBreak/20060417162838/Article/index_html>
Lee Keng Fatt, New Straits Times

*** Former NKF CEO TT Durai Arrested, But Presently Out On Bail
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/203535/1/.html>
Rita Zahara, Channel NewsAsia

Former National Kidney Foundation CEO TT Durai has been arrested and according to informed sources familiar with the case, he is expected to be charged on Tuesday.

*** Malaysia, Singapore Torn By Love-Hate Relationship
<http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=82283&version=1&template_id=45&parent_id=25>
AFP

Often seen as squabbling siblings, relations between Malaysia and Singapore continue to see-saw between co-operation and mistrust, confounding ordinary citizens and officials alike.

*** Polling Choices Are Indeed Secret: Steve Chia
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/203464/1/.html>
Tor Ching Li, Today

With recent concern over the secrecy of votes, National Solidarity Party secretary-general Steve Chia assured voters that -- as Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng had explained -- their polling choices were indeed secret.

*** Singapore Wary Of Flaws In MyKad
<http://www.malaysia-today.net/Blog-e/2006/04/singapore-wary-of-flaws-in-mykad.htm>
Terence Fernandez, The Sun

Teething problems in the MyKad is the reason for Singapore's reluctance in accepting the card in leiu of a passport. Concerned with the number of incidents of inaccuracies in the smart identity card, the republic wants Malaysia to sort out these problems first before it can be used as an entry pass into Singapore.

*** Singapore Port's Container Volume Expands
<http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/Monday/Corporate/BT562906.txt/Article/>
Bloomberg

[Opinion]

*** No Smiles For Me?
<http://gbt.blogspot.com/2006/04/no-smiles-for-me.html>
Budi Rahardjo, Mr GBT

In Singapore, I watched people on the MRTs. One thing I noticed, these people do not smile!

*** No Plane Sailing For Changi: Has 'Wow' Factor Fizzled As Other Airports Catch Up?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/113076.asp>
Liang Dingzi, Today

What will really make the difference is not more of the same, albeit improved, facilities, but surprises that wow.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]