[MyAppleMenu] Jul 19, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 19 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** 400,000 Windows Users Switch to Mac -- Analyst
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12117>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Needham & Co. estimates that the "iPod halo" may have attracted up to 400,000 Windows users to the Mac so far this year.

*** Disney Considering Teaming Up With Apple On Video iPod
<http://business2.blogs.com/business2blog/2005/07/scoop_disney_co.html>
Erick Schonfeld, Business 2.0

"Steve Jobs has spoken with Disney... about ways to license various Disney content for a video iPod, according to an internal Disney email I have obtained. That could include anything from clips from ESPN and ABC News to short cartoons."

*** Apple Hits 4.7 Per Cent US Market Share
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=12112&Page=1&pagePos=1>
Tom Krazit, Macworld UK

The analysts confirmed Apple's fast-paced growth in the US market, where it has emerged as the fourth biggest PC manufacturer there.

*** Apple To Extend Store Hours, Retail Exec Resigns
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1187>
AppleInsider

Under the revised store hours, most Apple retail locations will operate: 7 am to 10 pm Mon-Fri, 8 am to 10 pm on Saturdays, and 10 am to 9.30 pm on Sundays, according to ifoAppleStore.

*** VARs Wary Of Apple's Transition To Intel
<http://www.thechannelinsider.com/article2/0,1759,1838031,00.asp?kc=CZRSS03129TX1K0000627>
Hailey Lynne McKeefry, Ziff Davis Internet

Resellers are still trying to analyze the impact the big switch will have for their customers and business.

*** Apple 'Fairly Valued' With Strong Cash Levels
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/personaltech/2005/07/18/apple-ipod-itunes-0718markets01.html?partner=topix>
Forbes

[Opinion]

*** 4 Gig iPod Shuffle -- Listening Blindfolded
<http://www.ewanspence.com/blog/2005/07/19/4-gig-ipod-shuffle-listening-blindfolded/>
Ewan's Musings

The 512mb iPod shuffle is actually a pretty nice beast, although navigating around is a complete pain.

*** Bought An iPod? Blame The Media
<http://www.andpop.com/article/4534>
Chloe Tejada, andPOP

The amount of advertising that Apple's iPod is getting is unbelievable and we have those corporate media suits to thank.

*** How The iPod Changed My Life
<http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15751851&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=how-the-ipod-changed-my-life--name_page.html>
Dylan Jones, Mirror

The iPod not only changed the way I felt about music, it helped me re-establish relationshiops with records I hadn't heard in years.

*** Macworld Boston 2005: An Intimate Affair
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=08178>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

Macworld Expo again shrank to new lows in terms of the number of exhibitors and attendees.

*** iTunes' Display Needs To Be Redesigned
<http://www.srozekrans.nl/2005/07/iface/>
~srozekrans

The iTunes interface has served us great, but since its design a while back a lot of features have been added and I think it needs to be redesigned.

[Review]

*** Multiple Accounts iTunes Sharing
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/07/multiitunesshare/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

[Wintel]

*** Watching The Game Of "Telephone" Play On The Internet
<http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/07/18/439940.aspx>
The Old New Thing

A remark by soneone who isn't even a Microsoft employee becomes, through rumor, speculation, and wild extrapolation, a word-ban at Microsoft.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Darknet Casts Hollywood As Heavy
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,68048,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Jason Silverman, Wired News

*** Internet Users Ignorant About Data Privacy
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/07/18/HNdataprivacy_1.html>
Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Hunting For Life In Specks Of Cosmic Dust
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/19/science/space/19essa.html?8hpib>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

Teams of astronomers are staying up all night in the breath-fogging cold of the high-altitude desert of Chile and in the oxygen-starved heights of Hawaiian volcanoes, deciphering downloaded pixels from the Hubble and Spitzer Space Telecopes over soggy pizza, and then upstaging one another's news conferences, all in the search for the smallest, dimmest crumbs of creation, the most mundane specks of dust that may be circling some garden-variety star.

[Life]

*** Starbucks: The Daily Grind
<http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/food_and_drink/features/article295902.ece>
Nick Duerden, The Independent

This isn't a particularly easy thing for me to admit, but then dark confessions so rarely are.

[Expressions]

*** Then This, From The Lost Sister
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2119071/fr/rss/>
Meghan O'Rourke, Slate

[EOF]

*** Seen It Before? The BBC Promises: No More Repeats
<http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1531487,00.html>
Owen Gibson, The Guardian

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Singapore Woos Foreigners To Boost Weak Property Market
<http://asia.news.yahoo.com/050719/kyodo/d8bef40o0.html>
Kyodo News

National Development Minister Mah Bow tan unveiled several measures in parliament that includes removing some prevailing restrictions on foreigners buying property in Singapore, and resumed an incentive, halted in anti-speculation measures in 1996, that had granted foreigners permanent-residence status for high-end private property purchases.

*** Singapore Looks To Be India's Hong Kong
<http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?storyflag=y&leftnm=lmnu2&leftindx=2&lselect=1&chklogin=N&autono=194938>
Pradeep Gooptu, Business Standard

India is the flavor of the season in Singapore.

*** And In the East, Too, A Red Carpet
<http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=74711>
Rakesh Sinha, Indian Express

Singapore opens doors, more Indian firms than Chinese walking in.

*** Singapore Maintains Full-Year Growth Forecast Despite High Oil Prices
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/158492/1/.html>
Derek Cher, Channel NewsAsia

*** Surprise $1.7b Raffles Deal
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050719_329324.html>
Daryl Loo, Straits Times

The buyer, US-based investment fund Colony Capital, said yesterday that the historic 118-year-old hotel would continue to be given the star treatment it deserves.

*** Raffles Hotel Will Remain A Singapore Icon
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050719_329329.html>
Maria Almenaar, Straits Times

*** LTA: Poor Barrier Design Regretted
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/62194.asp>
Today

The chief executive of the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has expressed regret over last Wednesday's accident in which a cyclist was paralysed after he crashed into the newly-installed barrier at a pederstrian overhead bridge at Tampines Street 43.

*** She's 25, HIV-Positive, Riled Up AFA Disappointed With 'Unfortunate' Government Statements
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/62135.asp>
Vinta Ramani, Today

The stubborn adherence to stereotypes and the government's lack of sensitivity to various marginalised groups on the Aids issue continue to hamper efforts to deal effectively with the problem here.

*** Carriers To Merge After All
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/62221.asp>
Today

Business Times reports that on-off talks between privately-owned Valuair and Qantas associate Jetstar Asia seem to have materialised into a larger company.

[Opinion]

*** It's Not About Taps, It's About Trust
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/62159.asp>
Chan Mei Mei, Today

If NKF had come out and revealed all and allowed donors to decide whether they wanted to continue contributing, we would have no quarrel with its officers or its board.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]