[MyAppleMenu] Jul 18, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 18 13:15:01 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple And Google Climb UK Media Power Stakes
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39209578,00.htm>
Graeme Wearden, ZDNet UK

Steve Jobs, Sergey Brin and Larry Page all enjoy serious influence across the UK media landscape, according to this year's MediaGuardian 100 list -- which has snubbed Bill Gates for a second successive year.

*** Wake Up To Your iPod
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/12159467.htm>
San Jose Mercury News

A new alarm clock radio designed to dock and play the iPod is coming to stores in August.

*** iTunes Mints Podcasting Stars
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,68185,00.html?tw=rss.MAC>
steve Friess, Wired News

*** Apple To Expand Video Play?
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-5792393.html?part=rss&tag=5792393&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

*** At The Podcast Party, More Guests Arrive
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/18/technology/18drill.html?ex=1279339200&en=761df5279fc0720f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Alex Mindlin, New York Times

Even by conservative estimates, it seems likely that Apple is causing an explosion in the number of podcast devotees.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Return Of The Thin Client
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/07/18/29OPeditor_1.html>
Steve Fox, InfoWorld

Deja vu alert!

*** Who Says Robots Can't Bluff?
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,68223,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Marty Cortinas, Wired News

Walking away from the poker table with 100 large in your pocket is nothing special in Sin City. But until Thursday, the gambling capital had never seen a robot do it.

*** Where The Dangers Are
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB112128442038984802-w4qR772hjUeqGT2W0FIcA3_FNjE_20060717,00.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>
David Bank and Riva Richmond, Wall Street Journal

In the world of cybercrime,t he bad guys are getting smarter -- and more ambitious.

*** Why Linux Isn't Ready For Desktops
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39202374,00.htm>
Asa Dotzler, ZDNet Australia

I think of Linux the way I think of Mozilal 1.0 from just a few years ago: a very capable product with a very limited audience.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Reworking Work
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1083900,00.html>
Jyoti Thottam, Time

What happens when employees punch their own clock? They're happier -- and more productive. An inside look at Best Buy's bold experiment.

*** If MSG Is So Bad For You, Why Doesn't Everyone In Asia Have A Headache?
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,9950,1522368,00.html>
The Observer

To begin to answer this we must go back to Japan a century ago.

*** Holding Forth
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,1529269,00.html>
David Hare, The Guardian

I have never failed to feel a thrill of genuine anticipation when someone calls for silence and rolls out the magic words: "Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking."

*** Eye Vs Eye: Inside The Photo Wars
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/movies/17halb.html?8hpib>
David M. Halbfinger and Allison Hope Weiner, New York Times

This much the stars and the paparazzi can agree on: The streets of Los Angeles have become a battleground. But just who is at war is an unsettled question.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** High Joblessness Dampens Retail Sales In Singapore
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/07/18/bloomberg/sxsingretail.php>
Sara Webb, Bloomberg

The slowdown reflects "a weakening of consumer confidence, especially with oil prices currently higher and the last jobs report showing unemployment is still high."

*** Chinese Standard Has Not Dropped: PM Lee
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050718_329176.html>
M. Nirmala, Straits Times

The flexible approach to learning Chinese which Nan Hua Secondary School offers its students shows that the standard of the language has not diminished among the young here, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said yesterday.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]