[MyAppleMenu] Dec 23, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Dec 23 13:15:01 EST 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** iTunes Producer Patent
<http://www.waxy.org/archive/2004/12/22/itunes_p.shtml>
Andrew Baio, Waxy.org

Last week, Apple Computer filed a patent application covering the iTunes Producer application and backend architecture, used for managing and sending music to the iTunes Music Store.

*** Year In Review: iPods Rule As Courts Reason
<http://news.com.com/Year+in+review+iPods+rule+as+courts+reason/2009-1027_3-5495903.html?part=rss&tag=5495903&subj=news.1027.20>
CNET News.com

*** Most Apple Stores Open Until Midnight On Dec 23
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/12/22/apple-stores/>
MacMinute

*** Rogue Amoeba Annouces Slipstream For AirPort Express
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/12/22/slipstream/>
MacMinute

Slipstream allows audio from any application to be heard through remote speakers attached to Apple's AirPort Express.

[Opinion]

*** Beckoned By The Mac
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9238>
Scott Cabana, OSNews.com

*** Readers Weigh In On Apple And Possibility Of 'Halo Effect'
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB110373871528907298,00.html?mod=todays_free_feature>
Tim Hanrahan and Jason Fry, Wall Street Journal

*** All I Want For Christmas Is BBOutliner
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6112>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

*** EU And Real networks Gift-Wrap Europe For Apple This Christmas
<http://www.audiogogo.com/content/view/52/50/>
AudioGoGo

In one of the great legal ironies of the decade, Real Networks has done some quality legal and lobbying work that will help Apple more than it helps Real.

[Review]

*** Streaming iTunes From Ubuntu
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6067>
Niel M. Bornstein, O'Reilly Network

*** On The Radar
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2004/12/radar/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

A couple of very cool audio utilities for the Macintosh have passed before my gaze in the last week. Although they perform different functions, they have one thing in common: Blessed simplicity.

*** Exporting QuickTime Movies With Simple Video Out X
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2004/12/22/video_out.html>
Erica Sadun, O'Reilly Network

[Sidetrack]

*** It's That Time Of The Year Again
Heng-Cheong Leong

Going to Macworld SF? Here's a guide from Your Mac Life <http://homepage.mac.com/sly2002/SlysGuidetoMW_MMtmp6b4721b0/SlysGuidetoMWSF05.htm>.

[Wintel]

*** Europe Rejects Microsoft's Bid To Preserve Bundling Plan
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/23/technology/23soft.html?ex=1261544400&#38;en=27f138a699380534&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
Steve Lohr and Paul Meller, New York Times

A European court swept aside Microsoft's objections yesterday and ordered it to offer a version of its Windows operating system without its software for playing digital music and movies on personal computers.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** E-Mail Doesn't Take A Holiday
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/23/technology/circuits/23vaca.html?ex=1261544400&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1103785315-MW/JhdHw0s8/7/y9g3lXAA>
Joyce Cohen, New York Times

However tough it is to return from vacation, it's tougher still to return to an e-mail in-box filled with hundreds, or even thousands, of messages that have piled up in your absence.

*** Notebooks To Slim Down In New Year
<http://news.com.com/2100-1044_3-5498454.html>
John G. Spooner, CNET News.com

*** What Bloggers Can Learn Four Journalists
<http://www.poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=75665>
Steve Outing, Poynter

Bloggers could better protect themselves if they took a few pages out of the reporter's notebook.

[Linux]

*** Linux Lasting Longer Against Net Attacks
<http://news.com.com/Linux+lasting+longer+against+Net+attacks/2100-7349_3-5501278.html?part=rss&tag=5501278&subj=news.7349.20>
Robert Lemos, CNET News.com

Unpatched Linux systems are surviving longer on the Internet before being compromised, according to a report from the Honeynet Project released this week.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** All The President's Lawyers
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2111356/fr/rss/>
Dahlia Lithwick, Slate

Should the attorney general be the president's yes man?

[Life]

*** Tom And Jerry At Heart Of China's Linguistic Storm
<http://www.latimes.com/la-adfg-polyglot19dec19.story>
Christopher Bodeen, Associated Press

The government, which promotes using Mandarin nationwide, wants to stop airing the hit show dubbed in regional dialects.

*** Eyes Wide Shut
<http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2004/12/22/hotel_rwanda/index_np.html?x>
Charles Taylor, Salon

The world looked away when evil swept through Rwanda. Ten years later, a movie demands that we finally open our eyes.

[Expressions]

*** Rune II
<http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20041227&s=poem122704>
Rosanna Warren, New Republic

[EOF]

*** New Theory On Stonehenge Mystery
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4064817.stm>
BBC News

A fresh theory on how Stonehenge was built has been tested out by a group of experts and enthusiasts.