[MyAppleMenu] Dec 24, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 24 13:15:00 EST 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple Interested In BBC's Big Deal
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=10504>
Paul Tate, Macworld UK

"We have US broadcasters, media companies and multimedia suppliers like Apple all wanting to find out what we did, why we did it and what we are going to do in the future."

*** Apple Canada Cuts iPod Prices
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/23/apple_canada_ipod_prices/>
Tony Smith, The Register

The reductions come on the heels of a Federal Court of Appeal ruling that Canada's Board of Copyright is not permitted by the country's Copyright Law to tax MP3 players.

*** Apple Aims To Patent Fall-Detecting iPod
<http://news.com.com/Apple+aims+to+patent+fall-detecting+iPod/2100-1047_3-5502409.html>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Apple has applied for a patent on technology that would allow a portable media player to detect when it is falling and then stop reading or writing to the hard drive.

[Opinion]

*** Sometimes It's Just Broken
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@31.G7qPaWAARWQ.0@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c55d9e5>
Adam Engst, TidBITS

Sometimes hardware is just broken. Unfortunately, when that happens, you can waste hours trying to figure out exactly what's wrong.

*** Sweetest Mac Setup On Earth?
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=568514>
Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

Is this the sweetest Mac setup in the world? Goodness knows what he uses it for, but it is impressive.

[Review]

*** Space Colony
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=545>
Dustin Smith, Inside Mac Games

The game is still fantastically enjoyable for many ages.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** The Kindnes Of Strangers
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/24/opinion/24martinez.html?oref=login&ex=1261630800&>
Ruben Martinez, New York Times

The centuries-old tradition of las posadas is celebrated throughout Mexico and in practically evern Mexican neighborhood in America in the days before Christmas.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Entertainment]

*** Wrapping Up Your Retail Therapy For Happy Hour In Singapore
<http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=6&ObjectID=9004461>
Kate Perry, New Zealand Herald

The air-conditioned shopping malls that line Singapore's street are ideal for giving your credit card a work-out, but if you really want to blow the cobwebs off your magnetic strip you need to check out the city-state's bustling nightlife.