[MyAppleMenu] Dec 22, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 22 13:15:01 EST 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Citibank Gives Away iPods To new Online Customers
<http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/index.cfm?story=20041221031204&nav=pf_hp>
Aleksandra Todorova, Smart Money

One of this season's hottest gifts, the iPod mini, may be out of stock in most stores, but Citibank is giving away the portable music players for free.

*** The Year Of The iPod
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/12/news/2004inreviewmusic/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

If anything characterized the world of digital music in 2004.

*** Next IBM-Apple Chip Getting High-End Feature
<http://news.com.com/Next+IBM-Apple+chip+getting+high-end+feature/2100-1006_3-5499954.html?part=rss&tag=5499954&subj=news.1006.20>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

In 2005, IBM plans to bring a significant feature from higher-end servers to the next generation of its PowerPC 970 processor line used in Apple machines and Big Blue's own blade servers.

*** Subscription Model To Dethrone Apple iPod?
TechWhack

Critics are skeptical.

*** Apple Sues Three For Posting Mac OS X On Net
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=7153105&src=rss/&tag=ystl/technologyNews>
Duncan Martell, Reuters

Apple has sued three men for illegally distributing test copies of the next version of its Mac OS X operating system on a file-sharing Web site, court records showed on Tuesday.

*** iPod Helps Radiologists Manage Medical Images
<http://www.rsna.org/publications/rsnanews/dec04/ipod-1.html>
RSNA

[Opinion]

*** Legalities
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6113>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

It's only when people entrusted with trade secrets start spilling them on to the web that you need to unleash the lawyers.

*** iFrustrated Over iPod-Car Dilemma
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/op_ed_ifrustrated_over_ipod_car_dilemma/>
Frank Petrie, Macsimum

*** Ready Or Not?
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/12/opinion/janeic/index.php>
Jason Snell, Macworld

What company will finally break through and make video downloads popular? There's no way to know, but with its iPod success and Steve Jobs's Hollywood ties, I sure wouldn't bet against Apple. But only when the time is right.

*** Five More Reasons Mac Fans Turn Into All-Out Mac Lovers
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/tech/weekly/2956758>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

*** The Second Coming Of Apple
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/0,,SB110313866314201096,00.html>
Tim Hanrahan and Jason Fry, Wall Street Journal

The combination of Windows' security woes and greater familiarity with Apple products will be what Apple needs to unlock the market.

*** Apple's Trojan Horse Is Working
<http://www.transcendstrategy.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=32>
Transcend Strategy Group

[Review]

*** BBEdit 8.0 -- A Developer's Viewpoint
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/12/21/bbedit.html>
brian d foy, O'Reilly Network

If you aren't using version 8, you are missing out. If you aren't using BBEdit at all, well, you just haven't seen how easy things can be.

*** Rainbow Six 3: Athena Sword
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=543>
Scott Hanks, Inside Mac Games

*** Chic New Apple Products Mostly Live Up To Promises
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/2956753>
Dwight Silverman, Houston Chronicle

When it comes to elegant design, no one beats Apple Computer.

[Sidetrack]

*** The Graphing Calculator Story
Heng-Cheong Leong

Ron Avitzur <http://www.pacifict.com/Story/>: I had been paid to do a job, and I wanted to finish it. My electronic badge still opened Apple's doors, so I just kept showing up.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Mashboxx Aims To Make File Sharing Legit
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18568-2004Dec22.html>
David McGuire, Washington Post

The big difference is that Mashboxx will be the first peer-to-peer network to use SnoCap, the music-licensing service founded in 2002.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** When The Right Is Right
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/22/opinion/22kristof.html?oref=login&ex=1261458000&>
Nicholas D. Kristof, New York Times

I'm embarrassed to say that Democrats have been so suspicious of Republicans that they haven't contributed much on those human rights issues where the Christian right has already staked out its ground.

*** The Army We Have
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/046pafwt.asp>
Frederick W. Kagan, Weekly Standard

It's too small.

[Life]

*** In Search Of Christmas
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/041227/opinion/27john.htm>
John Leo, U.S. News

The forbidden "C" word is hard to find.

*** Mincemeat (Whatever It Is) Is Still A Christmas Tradition
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/22/dining/22MINC.html>
Ed Levine, New York Times

It turns out there is a demand for mince pie. You just have to know where to look, or actually what to listen for: a British accent.

*** An Illness, A Bracelet, A New Hit
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/21/nyregion/21bracelet.html?8hpib>
Marc Santora, New York Times

It seems the yellow wristband is the new red AIDS ribbon and Sydney and Daniel have caught the wave, joining a growing list of people using a colored bracelet to help raise money for a cause.

*** A Giant Step Forward For Punctuation
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2111172/fr/rss/>
Josh Greenman, Slate

Introducing the long-awaited sarcasm point.

[Expressions]

*** Turning Eighty: A Birthday Poem
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2111054/fr/rss/>
David Ferry, Slate

[EOF]

*** Washington Post Company Buys Slate Magazine
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/22/business/media/22slate.html?ex=1261371600&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1103691792-vZ6YxHAugU3exj+ZhDwDaQ>
David Carr, New York Times

The sale completes Slate's transformation from an experiment in the new media in 1996 to a respected brand name in journalism.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** Ex-Leader In Singapore Defends Laws On Media
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/12/21/news/singapore.html>
AFP

"We are not that daft. We know what is in our interest and we intend to preserve our interests, and what we have is working. You are not going to tell us how to run our country," Lee Kuan Yew said.

[News]

*** Singapore, Australia Ministers To Meet On Open Skies Deal
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000081&sid=at.p6TfPPCC4&refer=australia>
Bloomberg

Singapore Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong said he will be meeting with Australian Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson "in the coming months" to discuss an open skies agreement.

*** Singapore Not To Allow All-Gay Public Parties
<http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-12/21/content_402031.htm>
China Daily