[Retros] A new program to solve fairy proof games

Marco Bonavoglia mbonavo at tin.it
Wed Nov 1 14:57:03 EDT 2017

On 30/10/2017 22:05, François Labelle wrote:
> Dear retro friends,
>
> I would like to introduce "Jacobi", a new program that can solve fairy
> proof games. The home page is at http://wismuth.com/jacobi/ . The
> program is a web app that runs in your browser and requires no
> installation.
>
> It can solve proof games that Popeye struggles with, which by itself
> is a good enough reason to add Jacobi to your toolbox. There are also
> new possibilities like allowing undefined pieces in the diagram of a
> proof game.

Great program, thanks! I checked it with different fairy SPGs with
excellent results, with one strange exception:
PDB P1066705 (Initial position without BPh7 SPG4.0 Circe)

Popeye solves it in abt 50 seconds, Jacobi takes a lot of time, after
ten minutes it's at about 11% and has analyzed only 1. Sc3 1. Sa3 and
was analyzing 1. Sh3 when I stopped it.
I think it could take more than one hour. This on my laptop (with i7)
using Chrome or Firefox (I tried both). Is it the homebase position that
"confuses" Jacobi, or may be is a bug?

Marco Bonavoglia