[Retros] A new program to solve fairy proof games

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Wed Nov 1 04:03:06 EDT 2017

Dear Francois,
I want to echo Bernd's enthusiasm for this literally game-changing program. Once I had discovered I had to unclick the mysterious "Flood Protection" button, I verified PG 7.5 Circe PDB: P1281158 in just 31 seconds on a small laptop.

I also think that LosingChess would be a great addition, and should not be too hard.
My number 1 engine wish currently (and I am not sure how feasible it is for Jacobi), would be to support help retractors for helpmates. Typically one or two moves are undone, and then forward play occurs. It would not be necessary to determine exactly which retractions are retroanalytically viable: that can be done manually. Instead, simply to try all unmoves without regard to global legality. This would be useful even for orthodox problems, but should not be excluded from Jacobi on that account.
I think that "Load problem" would be more helpful an instruction than the oracular "Set problem from text". I also enjoyed musing the subtleties of the double when clauses in "When you change the problem, the solver will be updated with the new stipulations/conditions when you click on the Start button." but in the end did not manage to solve that one.

Thanks so much!All the best,Andrew