[Retros] Messigny 2014 retro solving contest

Nicolas Dupont Nicolas.Dupont at univ-lille1.fr
Mon May 26 04:35:41 EDT 2014

> "Dans cette condition, pratiquée par les joueurs et déjà décrite par Boyer
> en 1954, dès qu’une colonne ou une ligne du bord est vide, elle disparaît
> définitivement et la partie se poursuit donc sur un échiquier rétréci."

> As far as I know, only edge rows/columns are removed.

This is included in the above definition (edge = bord).

> if, after removing an empty row, a new empty row appears at the
> edge, this row is removed too.

Good point, not mentionned in the above rule: is it possible for a couple
row/column to be removed at the same time? If e.g. Ba1 is alone on row
1 and column a, and is moving.

And what about Anticirce Shrink? With e.g. wBf1, bPe2 and BxP, is
there a rebirth Bf1 or row 1 is removed and the pawn is annihilated?

Finally, is it possible to play an illegal move if the situation
becomes normal after the removal? Saying otherwise, is the removal a
part of the move? For example bSa1 bKb2 wLocust c3. Is Sa1-b3(row a
removed) legal in Shrink chess?

Best,

Nicolas.