[Retros] rights & ocassions /answering Andrew

Guus Rol grol33 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 06:15:04 EDT 2014

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your kind words!

Actually these posts are preparations for writing the book I conceived
years ago. I am a bit lazy and posting is a good way to build up content
bit by bit. Also gives me the opportunity to correct all the nasty little
errors in my posts. The aim of my book will not be to dramatically
change current pratices but to generalize the case based conventions and
logics enabling expansion into new areas and fairy types. There are still
retroists who believe that retro-strategy just means "mutually exclusive
castling rights".

My original intent was to write a book on "a posteriori" logic, the
fuzziest of logical species, but I soon found there is no point writing
about the mountain top while there is no route to climb it. Now I do hope
to deliver all the required equipment, including a Sherpa guide - if not on
strike.

I'd still appreciate some more critical comments from the community though.
There is always choice in basic premises and there are lots of outposts yet
unvisited. One of the nicest challenges is not to apply retro-theory to
existing fairy types but to invent new fairy types fertile for retro
composition (I know of one created for this purpose but forgot its name).
These types need not deviate much from orthodox chess, small changes to
castling or e.p. rules already open up new vistas. Andrew has shown what
can be done with the inclusion of DR (dead reckoning) which is still
orthodox. Nobody noticed, but one of my prize winning retros (involving 3R)
is incorrect under the DR directive. Roberto's MDR (minimum deviation of
the rules) is in need of updates after the last amendments in FIDE laws,
but it can also profit immensely by the application of the standard
retro-strategy and retro-variant logics - instead of its internal
substitutes. And then there is the interesting task of rewriting Turnbulls
"abominable problems" article into a 21st century version with workable
conventions and logics. The author sins against his own conventions which
is always a sign that something is not straight there. These are just a few
examples of things to investigate and discuss and I predict this will
generate intriguing new issues. Hopefully one day we can leave the
returning discussions on "castling rights" and "repetitions" behind us
(fascinating as they are).

Best wishes, Guus Rol.