[Retros] rights & ocassions /answering Andrew

Andrew Buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Tue May 6 11:55:14 EDT 2014

Dear Roberto,

This issue is not *quite* as academic as angel sex - it does affect the
soundness of certain chess compositions. :o)

The chess programming position, which seems to pass there without
controversy, is given at:
http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Repetitions

Now, a SPOILER ALERT :o) for those enjoyably busy reading through the
matplus discussion of this issue, located at:
http://matplus.net/start.php?px=1399373473&app=forum&act=posts&tid=1235
The climactic denouement of the thread is when I quoted senior FIDE arbiter
Stewart Reuben in May 2013 [my annotations added in square brackets here]:

"Geurt Gijssen and I differ over the repetition rule and castling. His view
will continue to hold sway for the new version [of the Laws] (probably now
no change [in that draft version] until 1 July 2013 [when it will be
ratified, going live in 1 July 2014]).
Position Qa4 Ka1. ke8, rh8. The laws state that the right is not lost to
castle until the king moves. Thus 1...kf7 2 Qf4 ke8 2 Qa4 is a new position.
I think that is wrong. We can look into the future and know black will never
castle.
But Rh2 Pg2 Kf1. ka2 pf4. 1 g4+ Kh3 2 Rh3+ Ka2 3 Rh2+ is the same position.
Black could never capture en passant.
To my mind this is illogical. The two possibilities [i.e. castling & en
passant] should be the same.
But it is the law and I have no idea whether it has ever arisen. So I do not
care too much."

So Stewart is unhappy the fact that castling and en passant approach things
differently. I think the position that castling *rights* are what counts
will survive until 2017. However, then those "troublemakers" :o) who want to
change the criterion for castling may have a champion in Stewart Reuben.
Stewart is a very nice guy, but is focused on the game, and I don't think he
feels any particular duty to problemists.

OK, so why should castling rights rather than opportunity be the driver?
(1) It's the status quo. Why change such a tiny thing, which will force
programmers to alter their core code, if they want to continue to capture
the exact rules of chess (as many will)? (And some problemists may be
inconvenienced as well.)
(2) It's simplest. Castling rights are just 4 bits of information, 4
characters in FEN, which change only when a king or rook moves for the first
time. Easy to compute; easy to consult.
(3) According to Guus Rol, there was a FIDE ruling at the time of Fischer.
(It would be nice to see that.)
(4) Guus also points out that dynamic interpretations may lead to
undecidable positions. Although he invokes retro strategy and proof games,
remember that we are talking about games of chess, where none of these retro
concepts are available. So his argument is even stronger.
(5a) An interesting question is: why can't we just use the FEN notation to
represent the state for en passant? Recall: FEN records the en passant
target square in algebraic notation. If there's no en passant target square,
this is "-". If a pawn has just made a two-square move, this is the position
"behind" the pawn. This is recorded regardless of whether there is a pawn in
position to make an en passant capture. (Clearly the rank number, 3 or 6, is
redundant.) But it would be absurd to use the FEN square as an indicator of
en passant capability - there may be no neighbouring pawn to make the
capture. But once we've opened the door to that concern, then why stop
there? One king may be in check, or there may be direct or indirect pins. So
rather than invent some halfway house, where SOME but not ALL necessary
criteria are checked, the approach taken is that whether a position is
different or not depends on whether the pawn can capture legally.
(5b) So to revert to castling: if we feel that there is need for
"consistency" between castling convention and en passant approach, and the
en passant approach is hard to modify, then why not change the castling
approach? Well, *which* castling approach? We could either look at whether
the rooks can castle right now, or whether they could castle some time in
the future? This question doesn't come up in en passant, which is
now-or-never.

So that's 5 good reasons to leave the current rule well alone.

I have just seen a new tomelike email from Guus arrive in my inbox, so I
think I will send this one.

Thanks,
Andrew.