[Retros] reward for stalemate

Andrew Buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Tue Jun 17 11:06:48 EDT 2014

Ø  The stalemating player would win the full point.

That’s the way it works in Chinese Chess.

I think stalemate is a brilliant rule, giving a subtle resource to the losing player. Removing it might even make the game much duller, as players try to smother one another from the late middle-game onwards, rather than take the risk to attack the opponent’s king. I think that Chess 960 is a much better innovation, and can imagine it becoming the standard in a generation or so.

By the way, there is here in Hong Kong a very small number of “street problemists” who earn money by posing tricksy studies in Chinese Chess to passers-by. Perhaps HK$20 is at stake in such a match. I have only seen this myself once, but if there is a next time, I will try to photograph the composition (compensating the composer suitably) and present it here. I don’t think there are any “street retro-analysts”, however.

All the best,
Andrew.