[Retros] rights & ocassions / not answering Andrew anymore

Nicolas Dupont Nicolas.Dupont at univ-lille1.fr
Thu Jun 5 11:09:07 EDT 2014

Dear Andrey,

> As soon as we enact any basic principles governing the application
> of rules and conventions in fairy chess composition, someone will come
> up (like Nicolas did) with a new fairy type rendering these principles
> meaningless.

This is true, but I don't think this is a reason to don't try to list
some general principles governing fairy chess, to put some order in
this field, say.

As an example I'm working to classify series genres (I expect an
article will be published on this matter). There are 4 of them that I
call "classical", the well-known direct, help and self, and a fourth
one, less known "auto-self", where black is playing all the series and
is obliged to reach the goal at its last move.

It provides an harmonious picture which don't embrace all existing
series types, like help-self, which is not "classical", as not of the
form "monocolor set of moves + 1 terminal move".

So while it is certainly impossible to precisely define what a fairy
genre is, it is certainly possible to define what a "classical fairy
genre" is, putting in it some clear-cut axioms, for example what are
the possible moves of a white pawn standing on the first row (I listed
5 different kind of rules governing those delocalized pawns, a nice
way to discourage newcomers...).

Best,

Nicolas.