[Retros] Retros column in The Problemist

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 22:34:48 EDT 2014

Mark,

I believe that I have already made clear that I could never be offended by
the encouragement for greater a diversity, in chess problems; I welcome all
types.

I have a great respect for The Problemist, and all who work to make it
great -- despite knowing that, historically, it has often failed to fairly
represent the popularity, value, and diversity of Help-Games.
I am encouraged that (finally) they seem to have enlisted some help (your
help!) in reconciling this undeniably specific depreciation of overall
diversity.

However, I do cringe when I encounter the implication that a specific type
of problem (Help-Games) might continue to experience restrictions, based
upon the bogus presumption that it need exist within the boundaries of a
preconceived Retro ratio, for the fool-purpose of achieving harmonic
balance.

The problem here is entirely residual...
The classification system that we have inherited was never engineered to
withstand such rationality; there is no validity to the almost-inherent
presumption that benefits may be accrued from balancing the ratio of its
divisions, and sub-divisions. Furthermore, you must appreciate that our
preconceived notions of balance were formed under an unfortunate set of
historical failings (and not only by that of The Problemist).

If the health of a problem journal were rooted in a tradition of feng shui
superstition, the Help-Mate section would have never been expanded.

For a genre which has proven exceedingly popular, and valuable, over
considerable time, additional space is warranted -- it suggests that
preconceived balancing ratios are what needs fixing.

I sincerely hope that you will give more thought to the matter.
As you have stated your encouragement for more Retro diversity, it suggests
a continued policy of specific non-diversity.
I hope this was not intentional, and that The Problemist will continue
expanding diversity, on all fronts.

Best Regards,
Kevin.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Steve Dowd <sdowd367 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark, I don't think Kevin was offended. He is one of those folks who

> expresses himself strongly, and with great conviction. That means it

> sometimes looks like he is taking offense.

> What you are calling for is my view, a maximization of the "Entertainment

> value" of your column, which strikes me as legitimate. An editor has to

> not only provide the best column possible, but must also think of his

> readers. I too enjoy a Retro column that is diverse (proof games often

> remind me of games played by beginners; I know this is not the case, but I

> can't shake my dislike for them) as I like trying to figure out other kinds

> of retro problems. It is no coincidence that Smullyan's work, for example,

> remains popular amongst players. I would skip over any retro column that

> was almost all proof games.

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Mark Thornton <

> Mark.Thornton at papwortheverard.co.uk> wrote:

>> Dear Kevin,

>> When I read the Retros columns in Die Schwalbe and Strategems, I like to

>> see a mix of Proof Games and other Retro problems. Regular solvers in The

>> Problemist tell me that they also like that kind of mix. Hence, I'd like

>> to offer a "balanced diet" to my readers, in The Problemist.

>> In my pipeline of original problems, the ratio of PGs to other types has

>> recently shifted from slightly above 1:1 to nearly 4:1. So I am asking

>> for composers to send me original non-PGs. Composers may or may not

>> respond to this request. Time will tell.

>> I am genuinely puzzled to find that my request upsets you, but apologise

>> for unintentionally offending you.

>> Yours sincerely

>> Mark Thornton

>> Retros Sub-Editor, The Problemist

>> 8 Wimbish Road, Papworth Everard, Cambridge CB23 3XJ, UK

>> e: Mark.Thornton at PapworthEverard.co.uk

>>> problem. Whilst I am always happy to receive originals, of any type, I