[Retros] Retros column in The Problemist

Steve Dowd sdowd367 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:50:45 EDT 2014

Mark, I don't think Kevin was offended. He is one of those folks who
expresses himself strongly, and with great conviction. That means it
sometimes looks like he is taking offense.

What you are calling for is my view, a maximization of the "Entertainment
value" of your column, which strikes me as legitimate. An editor has to
not only provide the best column possible, but must also think of his
readers. I too enjoy a Retro column that is diverse (proof games often
remind me of games played by beginners; I know this is not the case, but I
can't shake my dislike for them) as I like trying to figure out other kinds
of retro problems. It is no coincidence that Smullyan's work, for example,
remains popular amongst players. I would skip over any retro column that
was almost all proof games.