[Retros] Chessbase 1999

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 22 11:16:18 EDT 2013

On Thu, August 22, 2013 11:29, per olin wrote:

> [...] Is the fourth, selfstalemate in one move, incorrect

> for not being a stalemate after 1.Dg8 K/Dxg8, but dead reckoning

> after 0.5 moves?

Of course that can't be right, because of the meta-rule that we use
the rules of chess to make chess problems more interesting, not less.
There's nothing special in this regard about Unto Heinonen's problem:
if "dead reckoning" applied in this setting then *no* normal self-
stalemate could be sound; therefore it must not apply.

NDE