[Retros] Two-pawns chess

Joost de Heer joost at sanguis.xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 15 11:33:02 EDT 2012

On 15-9-2012 5:23, werner wrote:

> I don't see where the discussion about the 'checks' comes from. I think

> Eric was clear about the rules. I quote: 'orthodox rules + just one

> unorthodox rule: if your opponent captures a second pawn (of yours), you

> have lost the game.' Obviously there is no mention of so called

> 'checks', so 1.e4,d5 2.e5 seems perfectly legal to me.

The legality of the proofgame '1. e4 d5 2. e5' was for '1-pawn capture
chess'. Because the rule says that you win if you capture the N-th pawn
(and not if you threaten to capture the pawn and the opponent can't do
anything about it), the question remains: Is capturing (N-1) pawns and
then threaten to capture the N-th pawn check? In other words: In 1-pawn
capture chess, is 1. e4 d5 an illegal move? Black makes it possible for
white to capture the Nth (in this case first) pawn. The rules don't
stipulate that capturing the N-th pawn if possible is obligatory. For
most chess compositions this difference is irrelevant, but for
proofgames this is very relevant:

r1bqkbsr/pppppp1p/2s5/8/6p1/1S1P4/PPP1PPPP/R1BQKBSR
1-pawn capture chess, proofgame in 3.0 moves. How many solutions?

A similar discussion arose when I composed an extinction chess game
where the move order was defined by such 'checks':

1rb1k1r1/p2psp1p/2s5/1qp1p3/8/8/1PPPPbPP/RSBQKBSR
SPG 10.0 Extinction chess

1. f4 e5 2. f5 Bc5 3. f6 Se7 4. fg7 Bf2+ 5. g8=K! c5 6. a4 Qb6 7. a5+
Qb5 8. a6 Sc6 9. ab7 Rg8+ 10. b8=K! Rb8+

All these checks are not checks in the original definition of Extinction
chess, and therefore, when using the original definition of Extinction
chess, this is horribly dualistic.

Joost