[Retros] Solidarity Chess (=SC)

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:49:08 EST 2012

Hi Eric,

It is worth considering that your fairy condition might simply redefine the
nature of check.

This is done, for example, in the Extinction Chess, and Anti-Kings
conditions.

In the former, Kings are considered non-royal units (subsequently, King
promotions become legal!), and check is defined as any threat to capture
one side's last of a particular set of the starting unit types (e.g., a
threat to make extinct white Kings, Queens, Rooks, Bishops, Knights, or
Pawns, for example, when starting from an orthodox position).

In the latter, the Kings remain royal units, but they are considered only
to be in check when NOT attacked.

Either option would suffice to alter movement, because no player may
legally move into self-check.

If you redefine check, there is no need for new symbols.
The "+" symbol would become redefined, according to your condition, as
would the "#" and "=" symbols.
So, such a definition -- according to altered rules of check -- might
greatly simplify your intent... while still preserving good possibilities
for problem chess.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin