[Retros] Improvement of the Retro Corner?

Juha Saukkola juha_saukkola at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 15:26:36 EDT 2010

Hi!

I found this very usable script:

http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/index.html?whichScript=chess-fen

It's easy to use this to show any solutions, but recorder must be programmed.

Is it worth many hours of work?

Juha

From: otto at janko.at
To: retros at janko.at
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:03:16 +0200
Subject: [Retros] Improvement of the Retro Corner?

Hi Juha,

Something like this?

http://www.janko.at/Retros/Schwalbe/N240.htm

(Click on the solution button of problem 14316, 14317 or 14318.)

Unfortunately, there are several issues:

1. The script is useful for forward play only. Basically, in Retro analysis it is only useful for proof games.

2. The script does not support fairy pieces, fairy boards, etc.

3. The effort to integrate a "playable solution" in a HTML page is relatively high and includes manually editing the HTML code. Many solitions in the Retro Corner are not suitable for the script; comments must be stripped, errors must be corrected (e.g. S for N), etc.

4. The effort to integrate the script in already existing pages is even higher

5. The script (I found it on the Web) has already ~3000 lines. It is difficult for any other person than the author to understand and modify it (e.g. for support of a broader range of Retro problems like retractors). Moreover, my skills in Javascript are very limited.

Is anyone aware of a script that is more suitable for Retro problems?

Best Regards,

- Otto Janko [mailto:otto at janko.at] [http://www.janko.at]
-- Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security,
- will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. [Benjamin Franklin]