[Retros] Fwd: Proof game promotion task

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Mon May 17 00:12:28 EDT 2010

Good point, Tom!

What I find even more mysterious, is how we allow these awards to become
permanent fixtures upon our problems...
Why do we provide some unknown judge with free text space (above our
problem), to forever tag (or leave empty) our own work?

Every time I see a composer's personal collection, I wonder: why the awards
were included.
Carrying water for such a failed system only suggests, to me, some level of
complicity.

Even the best judge will often overlook a good problem, to reward a bad
one... it happens all the time...
I will concede that the author's opinion is not necessarily any better --
all the benefits of first-hand experience are rarely enough to compensate
for lost objectivity...
The point is, I'm really only interested to learn the composer's opinion...
I want to view their collection, as they see it -- not some lightly censored
database screendump.

We shouldn't have to wonder whether a personal collection refers to the
awards (or to the art).

And, rarely does anybody present their works (even a fraction of them) as
legitimate problems (to be solved, by humans).
It calls me to question their motivation, and to worry they've lost the
meaning...

Sometimes, I think the larger community has lost all perspective for the
beauty of this artform.

If not the artists, then, who will undo the injustices of a system which
appears incapable to distinguish beauty from its backside?
Why follow this sacred river, if it leads us all down to a sunless sea?