[Retros] Prenix (& Nix?)

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Sat Feb 27 10:13:25 EST 2010

Thanks Joost,

>> - If it's an original unit which is captured, we call the promoted

>> unit Phoenix *but* *only* *if* *the *original* *unit* *died* *before*

>> *the *promotion*.

>> We haven't any term for the more

general case of a non C-F promotee,

>> where the diagram is free of extraneous promoted units of that type.

>Gianni Donati named this a 'Prenix' in the GC proofgame tourney (1st HM,

>Andrei Frolkin [and Kostas Prentos]).

It probably took Gianni about half a second to think of it, and imho it's
the best so far. He was referring I think to the narrower case of promoted pawn where a corresponding original died *after* the promotion.

If one wants to refer to Phoenix+Prenix promotions, then maybe Nix is a logical term to use?

Look chaps: I am neither a leader, nor a diplomat. If someone can figure out how to get everyone to agree on terminology, my hat is off to them. You don't herd cats by getting them to cast votes, either. In the meantime, I am happy to use the terms Prenix & Nix, if only in conversations with myself or Gianni! :o)

All the best,
Andy.