[Retros] Difficult

pastmaker at aol.com pastmaker at aol.com
Mon Feb 22 12:13:15 EST 2010

On reflection, the Breyer position may not be hard for a computer, although it certainly is for a human. Publlished in 1922, it is the forerunner of all those types of problems, and has always seemed to me to represent the second of the two great leaps in retroanalysis. The Loyd 1894 problem, which used a host of retroanalytic devices never before employed, and which still looks liked it might have been composed yesterday, would be the first great leap. (Did not mean to commence a debate here - - this is an entirely (!)subjective observation, and I believe all the leaps seen by anyone else are equally valid.)

Perhaps what is more challenging for a computer would be any of the "first move of __" problems, but I can barely get my computer to turn on....

TV