[Retros] Original in Suomen Tehtäväniekat

Olli Heimo olli.heimo at luukku.com
Sat Feb 13 12:08:01 EST 2010

Original in Suomen Tehtäväniekat 6/2009. Please see also my comment of P0000532 in PDB.
Olli Heimo:
After 48 moves the game was back in initial position which was repeated for the second time. The game continued and ended in stalemate when in addition of wKc1 and bKa3 only one piece was left. Which piece and where, when the game was as long as possible and during the game neither player had a chance to claim for draw. Use the 50-moves rule as modified in 1997.
The problem is based on my article in Suomen Tehtäväniekat 4-5/2004, but then I thought that the longest game could be one half move longer. My mistake there was that I thought that the last piece can be captured in the end. If forced capture of opponent's piece then it is illegal because of dead reckoning. And if not forced capture, then there is a non-capturing king's move available which allows claiming for draw. Olli.