[Retros] Luigi Ceriani

Николай Белухов nbeluhov at abv.bg
Tue Feb 9 04:16:58 EST 2010

Dear retro-friends,
Here is the English translation of one long paper by N. Plaksin on Luigi Ceriani:
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B84M-EsbAvopMWQwYTg4NDItODU3Zi00ODMzLWIwY2UtMjEyYWQ3MzI2NDgw&hl=en
and
http://chessproblem.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=373
I was introduced to this paper by Dmitrij Baibikov, who once described it as "the best paper on retroanalysis". It is not that difficult to agree with him: besides the extremely interesting analysis of Ceriani's body of work, this paper also succeeds to cover a very large variety of retroanaltyical genres and themes (in relatively little space) and to supply them with many beautiful examples, thus being an excellent introduction to the subject for both solvers and composers.
I did most of the translating, and Andrey Frolkin did a large amount of editing work on the text after that. He, Dmitrij Baibikov and I also supplied it with a lot of explanatory notes and comments.
Your remarks, corrections, etc. are welcome at
nbeluhov(at)abv.bg
Finally, I would be very happy to see this published on the Retroanalysis Corner, too (if possible).
Best wishes,
Nikolai