[Retros] Ortho-reconstructions

Guus Rol grol33 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 09:15:07 EDT 2010

In 2003, I had some correspondence with M.Caillaud about this and other
3D/50M compositions for Probleemblad and I clearly missed your cook. My
archives are far from perfect and I may not be able to find the original
publication so I trust you on this. Well done!

I doubt Michel would be happy with the 'weaker' stipulation you propose. His
standards are pretty high and he made a valid comment when one of my
own 3D/50M problems displayed a less than optimum stipulation. I never
got that one completely right though.

In general, I do prefer "drawn" over "draw" in the status description of
"drawn diagrams" to emphasize the aspect of a "fait accompli". It also
avoids any confusion with an assignment to achieve the draw by forward play
as in endgames and some problems.

As a clarification to my first reply I should note that I introduced the
term "premature repetition" only to describe an "unwanted repetition"
preceding and contrasting with a "desired repetition". Currently I believe
it is better te replace it with a general term like "premature termination"
to describe the whole lot of similar phenomena. Formal definition: Premature
termination describes positions for which (1) legally unterminated proof
games exist under FIDE laws, while they abrubtly end under retro-conventions
(2) the premature ending does not achieve the stated objective.

Guus Rol