[Retros] Fairy retros

Bernd Gräfrath retromode at web.de
Sat Sep 5 02:30:04 EDT 2009

Dear Andrey,

I think that it is possible to compare the relative achievements of a runner and a motorcyclist in one competition: Someone who runs 100 meters in 9 seconds has achieved something much better than a motorcyclist who need "only" 8 seconds for this distance. Competent judges take this into consideration. Of course, they can also decide to divide an informal tourney into two or three (or even four: classical retroanalysis, fairy retroanalysis, proof games, fairy proof games) separate sections...

It is true that there has been a dramatic reduction in the number of new orthodox retros published throughout the world in the past decade.
In your feenschach essay, you offer a plausible explanation (feenschach 160, page 112): "Unfortunately, classical retros offer much smaller scope for development, in comparison with fairy and conditional RA."

About the general point which Per raised, I agree with Joost.

Best wishes,

Bernd

P.S. concerning your other e-mail: I have sent my awards for the retros of Probleemblad 2005 and 2006 to Peter van den Heuvel some years ago, and he has never answered.