[Retros] Challenge

Николай Белухов nbeluhov at abv.bg
Sat Nov 21 13:27:27 EST 2009

> Find a such kind of position that there is

> mate in 1 with only one move,

> mate in 2 with only one starting move,

> mate in n with only one starting move.

There was one beautiful problem of this type by K. Hannemann, CPDB problem number P1082699:

Knud Hannemann , Dagens Nyheter, 1933
http://www.softdecc.com/pdb/diagrams/P1082699.png
Mate exactly in 1, 2, 3 and 4 moves.

The four solution present one very nice theme.
I suggest that the first moves be stipulated to be different from each other - otherwise, it doesn't seem difficult to take n to about 50 (this boundary only exists because of the 50-move rule) by restricting severely White and Black's moves, so that White can only play a mating move or a waiting move on every step, and Black can only play waiting moves.

Best wishes,
Nikolai