[Retros] extending the idea

Николай Белухов nbeluhov at abv.bg
Fri Nov 20 13:18:25 EST 2009

> R5B1/P5P1/4R1B1/2P2RN1/8/2QN2K1/1PNBPB2/7k

> Mate in 1.

Thank you, Andy! That's a great problem, I had a hard day today and it really made me smile when I got the joke :) Here's a diagram for the others:
http://www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=R5B1/P5P1/4R1B1/2P2RN1/8/2QN2K1/1PNBPB2/7k%20.htm

> the answer might be "No", because the side which seems to be mated could have a right to capture en passant.

I had this idea some time ago (I solved a lot of problems by Alexander Kisljak and he seemed to use this stipulation a lot). But it turned out that Andrey Frolkin had already done this, CPDB Problem number P0005420.

Andrey Frolkin, Schachmaty w SSSR, 1986
http://www.softdecc.com/pdb/diagrams/P0005420.png
Mate?

I discovered this literally the day after I had completed my own humble attempt at this theme, and it was a bit of a letdown, but then again, this only shows how important it is for a composer to know the classics. Do you know other problems exploring the same joke?

Best wishes,
Nikolai