[Retros] Sam Loyd's Cyclopedia of Puzzles

Bernd Gräfrath retromode at web.de
Sun Nov 15 02:46:47 EST 2009

Good morning,

yes, it rings a bell with me! However, the problem I am thinking about is not by Loyd, but by "H. Fischer (before 1910)", and it does not contain nine white, but nine BLACK pawns!
It can be found in the following book: Karl Fabel, "Kurioses Schach" (Walter Rau Verlag, 1960), page 61.
Here comes the problem (#1) in FEN:
3N2R1/pp3p2/3K2p1/8/2pk4/3pp2p/3P1pB1/1Q4BR

I guess that the author is Hieronymus Fischer (1843-1927).

Have a nice day!

Bernd