[Retros] Probleemblad 1-2009

pastmaker at aol.com pastmaker at aol.com
Thu Apr 2 11:36:54 EDT 2009

The database has the original Breyer as number P0002189, I believe: [KB6/QpN1p2p/rRpkP3/1Rp1p3/bqP5/brP5/pPP5/NB6 (13, 13) Who wins?] 180 Chess Amateur 2/1922.? The great retroanalyst T.R. Dawson had the following comment (copied from the server):
"The wonderful No. 180, certainly the most glorious retro I have had the privilege of yet printing, is sent me by the Budapest Circle. Composed during the war, it's dedication shows that chess could rise supremely over all the turmoil. Its talented composers's death was announced only a few days ago, at a tragically early age. So that no solver shall miss the idea, I state distinctly that the retro analysis proves the game is DRAWN by virtue of the 50-move Rule! ... This beautiful application of the well-known zig-zag puzzles to a retro study has played havoc with the solving list."

The problem was unsound in that there were alternatives that came in slightly under? 50 moves, but who cares.? The idea and the execution, presented so early in the history of the discipline, would have been?remarkable even if the stipulation had been "fewest single moves since last P-move or capture" (without 50 move draw implications).

It was corrected by Gerd Wilts (#P0000228 on the server, i think), the correction constituted by adjusting the placement of three of the 26 units: (1) WRb6 to a5, and (2) exchange original positions of WRb5 and BQb4 (so that the BQ is on b5 and the WR on b4).? As corrected, Gerd's stipulation asks for the last 96 single moves.

I have no confidence whatsoever in lists of "best" problems, or "masterworks".? But Breyer's composition seems to me to represent?particularly large leap in the development of retroanalysis.?

Regards,
Tom