[Retros] Building a complete and friendly retro library

raosorio at fibertel.com.ar raosorio at fibertel.com.ar
Sun May 18 11:20:07 EDT 2008

Hi Otto and all,

1. I think we should assume we want to start the project.

2. I propose to start with only retro as scope in order to be effective; a too pretentious
starting is a risk to fall into paralysis since too many things should be considered.
The scope could be extended later.

2a. An active participation is necessary here; personally, I would need to see the
wiki functioning to fully understand the point (I assume that Informal Tourneys and
their Awards will be included in Retro Tourneys).

As to the point that Tom remarked, I agree with Otto that "records" and "best of" are
totally different. Records are well defined within parameters to be optimyzed (and
they have in general nothing to do with the artistic approach) while "best" is a risky
word.

Let's clearly establish that the retro-wiki initiative is just to build a useful tool where
all the retro antecedents were easily available; it's not to define positions or opinions
pretending to represent the retrocommunity.

Best,
Roberto

Otto's message
Hi ALL

Proposal for a way forward:

1. We shold first come to a decision whether we really want to start this
project or not. The Project can only be successful if many of you are
willing to participate an provide content to the Wiki.

2. We should decide on the scope of the Wiki: Problem chess in general or
Retro only (which may grow to problem chess in general later)

2a. We should have a rough idea what information should be put into the
Wiki. I already started this on the main page of the Wiki. It's an unordered
list - please feel free to add items to this list or to restructure this
list. Please do it directly in the Wiki (by means of the [edit] button).

2b. After 2a is completed, we can setup an initial structure. However, this
would be a structure "by convention", and additional content can be added
freely.

3. For common types of information (e.g. glossary entries, magazine
information, tournament information) we should setup an example page. As
soon as we are satisfied with these example pages, we can use it as template
and start adding additional content.

After we agreed on 1., I will create a help page "Wiki editing primer" for
all of us who are not familiar with the MediaWiki software. This primer will
only cover the basics:
- How to make paragraphs,
- how to make lists,
- how to make titles and subtitles,
- how to make monospaced text,
- how to make small tables,
- how to integrate images,
- how to integrate diagrams.

We also have to agree on several organisazial issus:

- Who is allowed to edit? (all or only registered users)
- What about Copyright? (currently: Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-
ShareAlike 2.5 License statement - is this ok for us?)
- We need at least two additional admins for the Wiki - any volunteers?)
- More to come

Best Regards,

- Otto Janko [mailto:otto at janko.at] [http://www.janko.at]
-- Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security,
- will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. [Benjamin Franklin]