[Retros] Die Schwalbe Heft 228, december 2007 again -- retractor history

Bernd Gräfrath retromode at web.de
Tue Jan 15 04:27:46 EST 2008

Hello all,

I would like to give some more information about the background of my problem, in addition to that given by Thomas (with whom I agree):
My problem was inspired by Klaus Wenda's recent papers in "Die Schwalbe" on retractors with a reflexmate in the forward play.
I discussed my problem with him, and I thought that it might be helpful for the solver if the information "with forward defense" were given with the stipulation.
But he pointed (a) to the historical interpretation of Hoeg retractors (cf. Dittmann's book) and (b) to the fact, that nowadays, also Proca retractors should be understood as being WITH forward defense, unless "without forward defense" is expressly mentioned in the stipulation.
Also the retro editor of "Die Schwalbe", Günter Lauinger, thought that "with forward defense" should not expressly be mentioned.

Best wishes,

Bernd