[Retros] Promotion: legal order of partial actions

raosorio at fibertel.com.ar raosorio at fibertel.com.ar
Tue Feb 12 14:24:39 EST 2008

Hi Joost,

I think that my yesterday's mail was a bit dissordered. Sorry.

Let's take the following example as a position in a real game,

5nbr/4Pppk/7p/8/8/pq6/8/K7
white to move

a) the white side player takes a white Queen, places it on e8, removes the e7
pawn and presses the clock.

b) the player takes a white Queen, places it on e8 and presses the clock.

Let's assume that in both cases the judge is looking the game.

In both cases the move would be illegal (formally in case a). So, it has to be retracted and
there is a 2 min penalty. But what after that?

In case a) we could say that the player touched the pawn and he is forced to move it,
(article 4) paying no attention to the Queen he placed on e8. Then, the player is free
to play e7xNf8++.

In case b) the situation is even worst. The pawn was not touched and the player is free
to make what he wants to (including e7xNf8++).

Something here is is in strong conflict with the common sense. The player made an illegal
(formal) move, putting things (a queen) on the board with a clear indication of his
intention to promote a queen. Could him be beneficiated by his illegality while there
were clear indication of a queen promotion, made in a just formally illegal way?

Isn't it much more logical to interpretate that article 4.6 spirit has to be applied here?
(4.6 When, as a legal move or part of a legal move, a piece has been released on a square,
it cannot then be moved to another square). As an extension, it could be interpretated that
the player is forced, after the 7.4 retraction, to make exactly the move he intended to do
but in a formally proper way (all of this is a bit strange, but to leave the player free
after the illegality is even stranger in my opinion).

Best,
Roberto

Hi Joost,

Thanks for your answer.

This is quite peculiar. Article 4 does not stablish any penalty related to
"legal order of partial actions" when promoting as it does for the castling case.

Based on this, my reassoning was "how could it be illegal having no consequences?
Only in Argentina!

Then I found in article 7.4 the following,
----------------------
7.4 If during a game it is found that an illegal move, including failing to meet the requirements of the promotion of a pawn or capturing the opponent’s king, has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated. If the position immediately before the irregularity cannot be determined, the game shall continue from the last identifiable position prior to the irregularity. The clocks shall be adjusted according to Article 6.14. Article 4.3 applies to the move replacing the illegal move. The game shall then continue from this reinstated position.

After the action taken under Article 7.4(a), for the first two illegal moves by a player the arbiter shall give two minutes extra time to his opponent in each instance; for a third illegal move by the same player, the arbiter shall declare the game lost by this player.
------------------------

but this is the Irregularities article. Since the promotion case has no penalty in article 4, what should
we assume? If we find the "illegal" order of a promotion in a chess problem should we iterate within
article 7.4 up to conclude that that side looses the game?

This question makes sense for chess problems. I repeat here the antecedent showing the
reversed order,

Lothar Finzer
(I) Die Schwalbe 8 04/1971
R6B/P7/4P3/1Q1Bp3/8/3N2p1/8/k5KR
#0,5
3 solutions

It was accepted that time. This problem forces the promotion by the stipulation, but I have
compossed some examples where the half promotion (reversed order) is clear from the
retroanalysis. This alternative provides a very rich field to composse fractional move
problems. Isn't it the richer the better?

Some question for the real game:
if the player installs a Queen in the promotion square and remove the pawn after that, then
apparently 7.4 applies. So, the Queen touching is equivalent to a chair touching, resulting in no
comeetment? Is the player allowed to promote a Knight after? Is he allowed to promote on other
square (capturing)?

Roberto Osorio

Message: 3