[Retros] Promotion: legal order of partial actions

Joost de Heer joost at sanguis.xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 11 06:04:59 EST 2008

> Defining the cases of partial legal moves a question appears.

> I have in mind the image that nobody touches the eight rank with

> the pawn. So, I tend to interpretate straight promotion as a sum of

> two partial actions,

> a) to pick out the pawn

> b) to install the promoted piece on the promotion square

> But, is there a legal order? I know many players (including me) that makes b) first.

>From the FIDE rules:

3.7e: When a pawn reaches the rank furthest from its starting position it
must be exchanged as part of the same move for a new queen, rook, bishop
or knight of the same colour. The player`s choice is not restricted to
pieces that have been captured previously. This exchange of a pawn for
another piece is called `promotion` and the effect of the new piece is
immediate.

4.6c: in the case of the promotion of a pawn, when the pawn has been
removed from the chessboard and the player`s hand has released the new
piece after placing it on the promotion square. If the player has released
from his hand the pawn that has reached the promotion square, the move is
not yet made, but the player no longer has the right to play the pawn to
another square.

Both (IMO) indicate that first the pawn move must be made, and then the
substitute piece must be added. It even implies (again, IMO) that the pawn
move to the promotion rank must be made, you can't remove a pawn from the
7th rank and then place a rook on the 8th, instead you have to move the
pawn to the promotion rank, remove it, and then substitute it.

Joost