[Retros] Promotion: legal order of partial actions

raosorio at fibertel.com.ar raosorio at fibertel.com.ar
Mon Feb 11 05:42:57 EST 2008

Hi,

Defining the cases of partial legal moves a question appears.
I have in mind the image that nobody touches the eight rank with
the pawn. So, I tend to interpretate straight promotion as a sum of
two partial actions,

a) to pick out the pawn
b) to install the promoted piece on the promotion square

But, is there a legal order? I know many players (including me) that makes b) first.

An antecedent,

Lothar Finzer
(I) Die Schwalbe 8 04/1971
R6B/P7/4P3/1Q1Bp3/8/3N2p1/8/k5KR
#0,5
3 solutions

showing a Valladao including a half promotion making b) first.

I'm investigating this because it's essential to define the scope of partial legal
moves where article 4.6 should be applied. Personally I think that a necessary
order should not be requested for chess problems.

Roberto Osorio