[Retros] Minimal Deviation from the Rules (MDR)

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Thu Feb 7 05:35:44 EST 2008

Hi Roberto,

>Circe problem. Mate?

I think that the intended answer is "No." Black has just captured Na2, which
must re-appear like Duncan Idaho on b1 to complete the move and block the
check. White's prior move can only have been discovered check.

The key question to be resolved in solving the problem was whether you intended
overlooking check or mate to be a "legitimate" error. The answer is no, because
e.g. otherwise Black might just have captured B on a2, and the problem would be
cooked.

However this meta-reasoning can now be applied to all other problems of this
form, which are therefore easier.

I have to confess an aesthetic preference for problem forms which are
"self-defining". With MDR, it appears that there is a codification required for
each form as to what "opportunities" and "incompletions" are legitimate. I have
a related kind of trauma about lexical problems, which depend on the language
used to record the moves. My problem, sorry.

I applaud the attempt to combine fairy + FIDE rules however. Some fairy forms
(e.g. Circe, maximummer) naturally admit retro logic all the way back to the
game array.

Others (e.g. with weird units) do not admit retro logic. We can add the
convention that the game is otherwise orthodox, but there are extra options for
pieces to promote to. That convention is an elegant idea which I hadn't come
across before. If it is already widely adopted, or if it formed part of the
pre-announcement to the German tournament referred to earlier, then it's
totally OK to form part of the judging criteria for this tournament. Not sure I
would want to see it as a default convention though.

The Codex is not very helpful about all this, stating baldly that fairy
problems have no history.

I think the basic principle should be that the solver is required in principle
to demonstrate whether any position, even a fairy position, is legal. If the
position is legal, then it can be assumed by the solver that it derives from
some history (although no reason to assume one history over another). If it is
illegal, then for a fairy position there is no issue. For an conventional
position, it acquires the property of fairiness, but there is otherwise no
issue.

Best,
Andrew.