[Retros] Ke1 - g1 (Are the King and the Rook....?)

Joost de Heer joost at sanguis.xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 6 06:29:51 EST 2008

> Arguably, all FIDE rules and conventions apply (forwardly and

> backwardly) to that diagram, as long as they are not clearly

> incompatible with the rules of the fairy variant.

I always understood that retro analysis in fairy compositions is not
applied, unless explicitly stated. E.g. an anticirce composition with a
black pawn on c2 and a white one on c3 is an accepted position, unless the
stipulation requires retro analysis (e.g. 'Last 10 moves').

Did anyone see Jorg Kuhlmann's award for fairies in Die Schwalbe? He
mentions legality for fairy compositions, and quite strictly applied the
'fairy pieces are promoted pawns, so a composition with (sum fairy pieces
+ sum pawns) > 8 is illegal' rule. (IIRC he used something like
pseudo-illegal, but I don't have the award with me atm, I will check it
tonight).

Joost