[Retros] Ke1 - g1 (Are the King and the Rook....?)

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Wed Feb 6 06:16:34 EST 2008

Recently I asked a similar question to Dirk Borst on the relation
between Circe and Retro-analysis. He replied there is an increasing
acceptance of the idea of combining fairy positions with retro-analysis
based on the fairy rules. The minimum requirement for a sound
combination is having well-defined choices in developing the PAS to the
the diagram position. Arguably, all FIDE rules and conventions apply
(forwardly and backwardly) to that diagram, as long as they are not
clearly incompatible with the rules of the fairy variant. Circe is
probably the least harmful with respect to the body of FIDE rules and
conventions! I have in fact some yet unpublished Circe
retro-compositions in store with that approach.

Andrew sent me an article by Turnbull titled "abominable problems" which
shows there are also issues when combining the fairy variants "fuddled
men" and "shrinking men" with retro-analysis. Somewhere in the coming
year I hope to make some proposals to resolve the issues raised by
Turnbull.

Guus Rol.