[Retros] Mate with a 3-fold repetition

Joost de Heer joost at sanguis.xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 11 09:53:43 EDT 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, joose norri wrote:

> I used to think that one could accept the draw after the flag fell, and it was that way until the 80s, but I was very emphatically assured by a very experienced arbiter that one cannot.

Hmm:

5.2

a. The game is drawn when the player to move has no legal move and his
king is not in check. The game is said to end in `stalemate`. This
immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing the stalemate
position was legal.
b. The game is drawn when a position has arisen in which neither player
can checkmate the opponent`s king with any series of legal moves. The game
is said to end in a `dead position`. This immediately ends the game,
provided that the move producing the position was legal.
c. The game is drawn upon agreement between the two players during the
game. This immediately ends the game. (See Article 9.1)

6.10

Except where Articles 5.1 or one of the Articles 5.2 (a), (b) and (c)
apply, if a player does not complete the prescribed number of moves in the
allotted time, the game is lost by the player. However, the game is drawn,
if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player`s
king by any possible series of legal moves, even with the most unskilled
counterplay.

The way I interpret this, one could accept a draw offer after the flag has
fallen. 5.2.c is active, so 6.10 should not be applied, because there is
nowhere a definition of 'finalizing the draw offer' (when the offer is
accepted with a 'yes'? When the players shake hands? When 1/2-1/2 is
written on the score sheet? Something else?)

Joost