[Retros] Dead or Winning position 3-times repeated

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Thu Oct 11 04:29:26 EDT 2007

If I were Geurt Gijssen (which I'm not, just one of his countrymen) I
would treat the arbitration issue pragmatically:

(a) spend a minute to decide the position is dead to the best of my
judgement
(b) ask the players if they agree
(c) if not, give the objecting player a few minutes to show a possible
mate by playing both sides

Even if the player would miss an unlikely mate that way, I would reason
that he could never have found it behind the board playing just his own
pieces if he couldn't find it easily by playing both sides! Quite a
satisfactory argument. Then again, dead positions are hardly ever
complicated and I doubt this would ever be an issue.

Guus Rol.