[Retros] En Passant Chess

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Wed Mar 21 14:02:14 EDT 2007

Franco, this might prove an interesting chess variant. I would vote against the artificial decomposition of the Knights move since it opposes the basic logic of en passant captures. The original idea was that a pawn could be captured on the square it "could have landed on" but elected to "pass by", which is quite distinct from the fly-over action of the Knight. The weakness of the idea is also demonstrated by the arbitrary decomposition of the Knight move. Why first "straight", next "diagonal" and why not the other way round (which delivers a different e.p. square)?

A question to ponder on is whether or not to allow for e.p. captures in the same line of action, e.g. wBd2-h6, bBc1xf4 e.p. Though there is no iron-clad argument to reject the validity of this type of e.p. action, there is a feel that the en passant concept should include the property of "cross-firïng" which is missing in this type. Whatever you choose, the extended e.p. definition should be tuned to the required formalities.

Guus Rol.