[Retros] Two SPG's from Paul Monsky

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 13 20:45:24 EDT 2007

Dear Retro list (cc: P.Monsky),

Paul Monsky, a mathematician at Brandeis University who has composed at
least one nice endgame study, has now been bitten by the proof-game bug,
and sent me the following positions:

rnbqk3/ppppb1p1/4p3/8/8/1BP1P3/PPQPNn1P/R1BKNr1R (S)PG-12.0
1nb2b1r/2pnpkrp/2p5/8/2p4q/2p5/2p4P/5KRR (S)PG-22.0moves)

He also asks whether quintupled (or sextupled!) pawns have already
been shown in a sound proof game. I don't know, and have yet to
succeed in installing Natch, but I expect that somebody on this list
will be able to answer both the soundness and the anticipation questions.

Thanks,
--Noam D. Elkies