[Retros] How many times could a Diagram be repeated during a legal game?

raosorio at fibertel.com.ar raosorio at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Jun 3 10:01:06 EDT 2007

Hi,

I want to share here something which is my mind from some years ago.
Let's define "Diagram" just as a board showing pieces on it, i.e., no matter
at all anything regarding the right's status, not even who's to move.

Questions:

a) How many times could a Diagram be repeated during a legal game?

b) How many single moves are needed to show these repetitions starting
from a proper Diagram and knowing who's to move? (following the retro
conventions)

I have the advantage to have headquarters at the Argentine Chess Club so I
have the opportunity to test this type of things with very skilfull master lever
players. It's remarkable how far are they to accept the the answer to a).

I will post my own answers in few days but it would be interesting to have
some interaction first (of course I could be missing something).

Best,
Roberto Osorio