[Retros] 50 move rule

pastmaker at aol.com pastmaker at aol.com
Wed Jan 31 20:26:20 EST 2007

Good decision by the Chief Arbiter.

-----Original Message-----
From: andrew at anselan.com
To: retros at janko.at
Sent: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:21 AM
Subject: [Retros] 50 move rule

Chums,

I found a clarification for one issue which was floating around a couple of
weeks ago: the FIDE Laws approach to the 50 move rule.

This is by Guert Gijssen, the Chief FIDE Arbiter, in his monthly chesscafe
column, for May 2006.

>Q: I would like to express my opinion that the 50-move rule should also

>involve, besides a pawn move and piece removal, mate on the 50th move;

>otherwise the rule is reduced to a 49-move rule. Thank you very much for

>your answer.

>Sincerely, Jiri Bielavsky,

>Czech Republic

>A: Regarding your remark about the 50-move rule: only the player on move

is

>entitled to claim a draw, but he is not forced to claim it. So if the 50th

>move produces checkmate – the checkmate stands.

>Guert Gijssen

Thank you Mr Bielavsky for posing this question. So how does this affect
the domain of composition? I remain (as always :-) confused.

Cheers,
Andrew.