[Retros] 50 move rule

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Wed Jan 31 10:21:25 EST 2007

Chums,

I found a clarification for one issue which was floating around a couple of
weeks ago: the FIDE Laws approach to the 50 move rule.

This is by Guert Gijssen, the Chief FIDE Arbiter, in his monthly chesscafe
column, for May 2006.

>Q: I would like to express my opinion that the 50-move rule should also

>involve, besides a pawn move and piece removal, mate on the 50th move;

>otherwise the rule is reduced to a 49-move rule. Thank you very much for

>your answer.

>Sincerely, Jiri Bielavsky,

>Czech Republic

>A: Regarding your remark about the 50-move rule: only the player on move

is

>entitled to claim a draw, but he is not forced to claim it. So if the 50th

>move produces checkmate – the checkmate stands.

>Guert Gijssen

Thank you Mr Bielavsky for posing this question. So how does this affect
the domain of composition? I remain (as always :-) confused.

Cheers,
Andrew.