[Retros] Codex of Chess Composition (was: Another Update of the Retro Corner)

Otto Janko otto at janko.at
Thu Jan 4 07:10:01 EST 2007

Valery Liskovets wrote:

> It seems to exist, but where was it published?

As I wrote: >It is taken from "Problem"<. Unfortunately, Andrej could not
provide the issue number or a publication date.

> Let me remind that the FIDE Problem Congress in Imola

> (Oct. 1973) slightly modified the Piran Codex by (in particular)

> legalizing pRA problems and recommending the marks RV and AP

> in stipulations.

Thomas Maeder wrote a few days ago: "The current codex replaced the Piran
codex of 1958. Part I was accepted at the PCCC meeting in Rotterdam in 1991
and Part II in Portoroz 1997. There were no intermediate codex versions."

Obviously you disagree, there was an intermediate version of the codex
agreed on 1973. Can you provide the text changes agreed in Imola?

> See, e.g., "Retroanalysis and Codex Again" by

> W.Veitch in EG36 (1974), 83-86

> http://www.gadycosteff.com/eg/eg29.pdf

The link points to the wrong pdf file. Here is the relevant excerpt:

--- snip ---

Happy Ending? We read that the FIDE Problem Congress at Imola (6-13.X.73)
decided, inter alia, that "partial retrograde analysis" problems are again
accepted as solvable. So far so good.

It is further stated that such compositions are to be marked with the
letters "RV" (retro-variations), while those in which the en passant capture
on the first move is made legal during the further solution are to be marked
"AP" (a%posteriori proof).

This is prima facie evidence that again codex questions have been viewed
with an eye to problems and ignoring studies, for it seems not to have been
recognised that RV positions are chess, whereas AP positions are fairy
chess. RV positions are positions solvable by
ordinary analysis of the initial setting and so there is no need for special
letters but AP problems like help-mates and self-mates certainly do require
an indication of their special nature.

--- snip ---

> > - Codex for Chess Composition 1991/1997

> > - Codex for Chess Composition 1958

> A useful supplement to the Retro Corner!

> My English and Russian texts of the old Codex are in accordance

> with each other. The latter, presumably published in Novi Temi, is

> somewhat imperfect. Unfortunately, they both DIFFER from the text

> in EG29 and from the German text of the Piran Codex displayed by

> Otto (by wording, section titles, numbers, etc.).

Should I delete the Russian text?

Best Regards,

- Otto Janko [mailto:otto at janko.at] [http://www.janko.at]
-- Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security,
- will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." [Benjamin Franklin]