[Retros] Codex of Chess Composition (was: Another Update of the Retro Corner)

Valery Liskovets liskov at im.bas-net.by
Thu Jan 4 05:29:12 EST 2007

Dear retro-friends,

Otto Janko wrote:

> Thanks to Andrej JakobХiХ the Piran Codex is now online on the Retro Corner.

> It is taken from "Problem", mainly in German and partly in Russian. I don't

> know whether a official English Version exists or not.

It seems to exist, but where was it published? Retro-significant
excerpts from it can be found in the article "The Codex for
Chess Composition" by W.Veitch in EG29 (1972), 361-363
http://www.gadycosteff.com/eg/eg29.pdf
(with apparent error 5<-->15 in article numbers).

This article discuss a controversial study by N.Petrovic
published in EG26 (1971)
http://www.gadycosteff.com/eg/eg26.pdf ,
where many other retro-stydies are published (2nd team match
(Friendship)) including one by N. Plaksin on the 50-move
rule (1 Place).

Let me remind that the FIDE Problem Congress in Imola
(Oct. 1973) slightly modified the Piran Codex by (in particular)
legalizing pRA problems and recommending the marks RV and AP
in stipulations. See, e.g., "Retroanalysis and Codex Again" by
W.Veitch in EG36 (1974), 83-86
http://www.gadycosteff.com/eg/eg29.pdf
Btw, this last article contains an interesting although imperfect
pRA-study by the author. It (as well as some of the
above-mentioned studies) is lacking in the PDB.

> - Codex for Chess Composition 1991/1997

> - Codex for Chess Composition 1958

A useful supplement to the Retro Corner!

My English and Russian texts of the old Codex are in accordance
with each other. The latter, presumably published in Novi Temi, is
somewhat imperfect. Unfortunately, they both DIFFER from the text
in EG29 and from the German text of the Piran Codex displayed by
Otto (by wording, section titles, numbers, etc.).

Valery Liskovets